RE: [alf-dev] SCM Workspace discussion

Mark,

You make some valid points, but I do want to clarify that we are on the same
page about what ALF is about.

You say: "Only centralized servers that are running builds, tests, security
scans etc. should need this [SCM] service..."

I thought we just started with "build" as an example use case, but that ALF
was more general than that. I thought ALF was to provide a framework for
integrations between any sort of development tool with any other sort of
development tool. I.e. to turn the N**2 problem of point-to-point
integrations into a linear problem.

I can imagine a wide variety of development tools that might want to
integrate with SCM:

Build tool <---> SCM    [to update workspaces, ...]
Issue-tracking tool <--> SCM   [e.g., to ask what change-set goes with a
given issue...]
Testing tool <---> SCM [e.g., to populate a test workspace with scripts, or
to checkout/checkin individual tests or test results]
Requirements management tool <---> SCM [e.g., to version the requirements
docs, or to associate requirements with change-sets that implement them]
CAD/CAM tool <----> SCM [e.g., to checkin/checkout, or baseline, some set of
design artifacts]
Etc.

Some of these may be initiating the request for SCM services from what you
are calling "centralized servers", but other may be initiating the request
for SCM services from what you'd consider a "client machine" (e.g. some PC
on someone's desktop).

Is this view of ALF not correct?

Richard Title

Back to the top