RE: [alf-dev] RE: ALFSource Code Mangement Vocabulary

alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 05/03/2006 05:57:07 PM:

> This is an interesting case because there are properties and values that
> tools should and will exchange but there are also dependencies, as when
the
> SCM tool might detect conditions that should prevent a build from
executing.
> A common case we see is where a trigger or other SCM process from a
> developer workspace "pre-builds" a change package and if the result does
not
> meet build criteria, a promotion, update, what have you, should fail
until
> the issue is resolved. There's probably quite a bit of messenging to
take
> place between the SCM tool and the build environment in that instance
and a
> lot of potential for vendor specific application logic on both sides.

I am sure there will always be cases where point to point integrations
still make sense, but this scenario you describe sounds tailor-made for
ALF.  All I see is a bunch of different events and service flows.  This is
the sort of thing where ALF will probably really make it easier and add
value.

> The cases do run the gamut from a simple "share these properties and
data"
> to "evaluate and start/stop this dependent event from occuring".  Both
types
> of event transactions need to be supported, and I agree they're
different
> from a "level of integration" point of view. It seems like the tricky
part
> of vocabulary production is determining how deep the event management
> extends into this kind of integration space. The goal seems to be to
> insulate vocabularies from one another's domain expertise, but we do
need to
> enable the interoperabilities that matter to the overall workbench.

I am not sure how the ALF Events will relate to the vocabularies but I
recall they describe a data payload that can be used somehow in the event
"logic".  The vocabularies are more to describe the services that might be
available to use to build service flows.

Mark

Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. and SoftLanding Europe Plc by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.