Re: [alf-dev] RE: ALF Source Code Mangement Vocabulary Meeting +1-303-928-3232 id 6053141# Wednesday 10:00AM PDT - meeting minutes

alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 05/03/2006 02:38:05 PM:

> 1. Review use cases we have so far
>    Richard described the use case in the document
>    StopEdit (and other use cases) have additiona details (options)
> not explicitly mentioned (eg does the workspace copy of the element
> revert or not)
>    Rollback - is not generally supported - destroying history is a
> specialized operation.
>    Rename was identified as missing
>    Refactoring (similar to renaming) and MetaData operations were
> other suggested additions
>
>    General observation - The use cases presented so far are close
> to the "primitive" level.  We need to relate the to higher level
> integration type use cases to ensure we are on the right track for ALF.
> We also need to identify the "ALF" events that may be involved in these
> use cases.

We ran out of time at the end to discuss some of these, but Brian Carroll
included managing metadata as a possible use case.  I could see Subversion
users potentially wanting this feature as metadata can be used for a
variety of purposes.  In Subversion metadata is associated with a file or
folder and can be essentially anything including binary content, such as
thumbnail image for a JPEG.

> 2. Pick a couple of use cases to fully flesh out as examples
>    We will discuss this next week.  Please bring suggestions.

I really think we should start to focus on the things we know we would
need to in ALF.  I would nominate these:

1. Checkout/Get a Project
2. Apply a Version Label/Tag
3. Possibly some kind of history interrogation.  I believe one of the
build tools previously mentioned this as something that was both important
to them as well as challenging.

Thanks

Mark

PS - I did not see the attendees listed in the minutes.

Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. and SoftLanding Europe Plc by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.