[alf-dev] Server-Side Eclipse w/OSGi

There was discussion today about how to run Eclipse plug-ins server-side.

Wolfgang Gehner of Infonoia has provided a server-side Eclipse article and working code at:

http://www.infonoia.com/en/content.jsp?d=inf.05.09

He does an excellent job of fleshing out the equinox servlet bridge mentioned here:

http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/incubator/server/embedding_in_a_servlet_container.php

I encountered lots of build errors when used with Eclispe 3.2M5a, but things worked fine, just like Wolfgang describes, with rc4.  This was a month ago, M6 may be fine with it.

The "master" bridge servlet does double duty: controls an osgi framework & acts as a proxy for plug-in servlets that register with it via extension points.  The Tomcat webapp points to a WAR-style directory structure that contains the Eclipse/OSGi runtime plug-ins as well as the exposed vendor ones.

The Knopflerfish OSGi impl provides the "bundlification" of a standard Axis server. I'm not aware of any Oscar work in this area.

Either way, somewhere, somehow, at least one OSGi runtime has to up, running, controllable.

I signed-up for ALF scope/impl tasks in this area and hope to pursue more work here.

Back to the top