RE: [alf-dev] Availability of POC infrastructure pieces?

Title: Re: [alf-dev] Availability of POC infrastructure pieces?
For the POC we are using a shorter list

The standard POC platfom is

    Windows 2003 (not an open source product)

    java sdk 1.4.2.07 (j2sdk-1_4_2_07-windows-i586-p.exe)

    apache tomcat 5.5.12  (apache-tomcat-5.5.12.zip, apache-tomcat-5.5.12-admin.zip, apache-tomcat-5.5.12-compat.zip)

    axis 1.1 (axis-1_1.zip)

    Java Activation 1.0.2 update 2  (jaf-1_0_2-upd2.zip)  (required by axis)

    ActiveBPEL-1.2    (activebpel-1.2-bin.zip)
ActiveBPEL the only full implementation of BPEL 1.X available as Open Source (at least when we last looked).  It has a GPL license but we are not modifying it so that should not be an issue.  This includes its own internal and slightly modified copy of axis 1.2.1 (I think)

    Eclipse 3.1.1 with Web Tools 0.7  (wtp-all-in-one-0.7-win32.zip)
We are only using eclipse in the POC to host the Oracle BPEL designer plugin in and the ALF event manager configuration tool (not committed yet in case you are wondering). We did not use this to create web services.  We just used the axis tools.  While wtp has some useful features it tries to be a bit too automatic and it often doesn't work in unhelpful ways so I gave up on it due to time pressures - too much to figure out.  Post EclipseCon we need to resolve the difficulties and make it the tool of choice.

    Oracle BPEL designer eclipse plugin (bpelz_0.9.13_win32.exe).
This is available as an evaluation dowload from Oracle.  The theory here is that Oracle are donating this or something similar to Eclipse so this would be the designer to start with. Recently ActiveEndpoints have made their ActiveBPEL designer available for free - I haven't looked into how it's licensed.  This is also an Eclipse plugin and has a much closer integration with the ActiveBPEL engine (not suprisingly) and it's worth a look.

This set was choses as the "standard" platform mostly because we needed to choose something.  Mostly, these were chosen because they are stable releases (Tomcat 5.5 may be the exception.  I think the minor release version was spining quite fast and we just locked onto .12 to no ill effect)

Due to the various requirements of the tools being integrated in the POC we also used other versions of java (1.5.0.05), tomcat(5.0.28)  and axis(1.2.1, 1.3) and gSoap(ver?) along with various other tools that are used internally by the various products.

The other tool to look at

The bottom line here is that to get something working, Web Service technology is quite stable and interoperates well amonst the more recent versions of these tools.  Picking a platform to start on is not super critical.  That said, the next phase of ALF where we try to address the security issue may be much more picky abou the particular paltform choices made.  The features required, WS-Addressing, WS-Security, WS-Federation etc. are much less completely supported and it remains to be seen  how this narrows the choice.

Tim