RE: [alf-dev] The role of source control in ALF

alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/07/2006 10:41:45 AM:

> Again, why do you think it is a fundamental problem to return
file-contents
> in a SOA? It's just a stream of bytes.

I do not know if it is a problem or not.  I guess what I was asking was
whether the ALF vocabulary would prescribe a standard, and then what that
might be.  What are the standards for transferring files via SOAP?  I do
not know, I am asking.

> By the way, another SCM-related standard worth looking at, in addition
> JSR 147, is WebDAV DeltaV (see http://www.webdav.org/deltav/ ). Again,
it's
> not SOAP, so it's not directly usable by ALF. But some of the ideas
might be
> useful. It's an extension of HTTP to support versioning. It does have a
> "GET" and "PUT" operations to obtain/update file/version contents.

Yes, I am familiar with this.  The Subversion server implements WebDAV and
much of DeltaV.  But an SCM web service would have to talk to its
repository to get the files for the request, then presumably repackage
them in some way to deliver them via the web service.  I am just wondering
whether we see this as part of ALF, or whether we would expect people that
wanted to gain access to the source code to live with the requirement that
all of the necessary services can access the same physical disk location.
If we do see it as part of ALF, then what is the likely standard we would
follow?  It is a perfectly acceptable response to say that we do not know
yet.  I do not know how far along some of this is, so I am just asking.

Mark

Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. and SoftLanding Europe Plc by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.