RE: [alf-dev] The role of source control in ALF

Mark,

One of the main things SCM tools can do in and ALF environment is raise
events - for example, it may be a significant when a particular file is
checked in, or a "PRODUCTION" label is applied to a set of files.  So
SCM tools need to be able to raise ALF events.  We wanted the option to
keep ALF Events lightweight.  While this is not always possible, in may
cases, rather than attaching the contents of a source file to an Event,
you can simply make a reference to the thing that changed.  In fact,
such references are built into the BasicEvent structure. If a program
later needs more details about the thing that changed, it can inquire of
the tool that raised the event.

We agree that the POC scenario is rather simple and that particular
scenario might have been accomplished with various forms of scripting.
But ALF is intended to coordinate tools that don't necessarily have a
command line interface.  We have built a number of custom integrations
for the dynamic exchange of data between tools, where simple batch
scripts would not accomplish the task.  Unfortunately, such integrations
tend to be point-to-point.  ALF provides the opportunity for all vendors
to "factor out" that common code that is built into each integration,
and express the key aspects in BPEL (so that customers) can alter the
flow.

I have worked with a number of tools which overlapped in data content.
To keep the tools in sync, I would copy and past from one tool to
another.  And often the tools did not offer a command line interface, or
the callable API's were for different programming languages, so
integration was doable, but more trouble than it was worth.  I view ALF
as a solution to coordinating tools where I need information to be
consistent across tools.

Regards,
Brian

Brian Carroll