From: Brian Carroll
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 6:45 PM
To: ALF Developer Mailing List
Subject: RE: [alf-dev] Procedural discussion

Hi Daniel,

To date, much of the Architecture work has been done by Tim Buss and
myself, with input and discussion from the ALF partners and everyone
else on the ALF team, notably Ali Kheirolomoom, Kevin Parker, and Kelly
Shaw.  Tim and I collaborated on the ALF Architecture document,
combining much of our early thinking with an earlier Architecture
document on the ALF Event Manager.  While each of us were the primary
authors for certain sections, we spend a lot of time critiquing each
others designs.

Recently, I've been writing the ALF Vocabularies Framework and ALF
Security Architecture for SSO documents, while Tim, largely due to his
focus on BPEL and BPEL engines, has concentrated on the ALF POC.  None
of these activities happens in isolation, and for each author's name
that appears on a document, there are probably ten more who have
reviewed it, commented on it, or found the flaws in the design as they
have implemented it.

Serena has made a major commitment to ALF, that allows Tim and I to
spend our time driving the ALF architecture and design forward, and
hence being the primary authors of most of the ALF documents, but each
document reflects the comments and wisdom of the ALF partners, such as
Cognizant, Secure Software, Seque, and Catalyst, to name just a few, as
well as numerous internal developers.

Looking forward, I can see much of my time in 2006 devoted to driving
ALF security from architecture to implementation and on developing
vocabularies and fostering communities around vocabulary development.  I
can foresee Tim continuing work to understand and exploit the BPEL-based
ServiceFlow capabilities, for example in complex area of compensation,
in middleware infrastructure, and in integrating BPEL designers into the
ALF tooling.  We also expect to devote considerable time working with
the other Eclipse projects, notably the SOA Tools and Corona projects,
but also Higgins, BIRT, and the EMF/GMF projects as we include more
design, configuration, deployment, and administration tooling.

Regarding your question on Bugzilla. The question is a good one, and I
am certainly aligned with its direction - providing a process around our
handling of bugs, enhancement requests, and requirements. I am new to
Bugzilla and am still coming up to speed on it, but from my current
understanding, it does not have the rich and flexible process
description and strong enforcement of the tools such as TeamTrack and
Dimensions that I am more familiar with.  So I appreciate the benefits
of having customizable and enforceable process for issue management.
>From what I can tell from the documentation
(http://www.bugzilla.org/docs/2.20/pdf/Bugzilla-Guide.pdf), Bugzilla
does have some notion of process (the "Life of a Bug"), but I don't know
how customizable that flow is or how flexible or extensible (e.g.
scriptable) the implementation is.  I certainly welcome feedback from
those with a better knowledge of Bugzilla on this.

Regards,
Brian