From: alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robert Brady
Sent: Dienstag, 11. Oktober 2005 20:39
To: alf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [alf-dev] No Reasons for Agila "Primary Choice"

According to the ALF 2005 Eclipse Word presentation, “Apache Agila (aka Twister) is the current primary choice for the orchestration engine”.

I installed and tried both Agila and ActiveBPEL.  I would not want to use Agila in the POC.  I can’t justify Agila as being a primary choice for the POC.  My comparison of the two is given below.

Can anyone give a few good reasons for using Agila over ActiveBPEL?

I tried both the Apache Agila BPEL engine as well as that of ActiveBPEL.  I found ActiveBPEL to be much easier to install and target for deploy, with a far larger community.

Installation Requirements:

=======================

Agila

* Servlet containter (e.g., Tomcat 5)

* Relational Database (e.g, MySQL, Oracle; HSQL-DB provided)

* XML Database (Apache XIndice provided)

* Subversion Client

* Apache Maven

* XDoclet 1.2.x (has plugin required for Maven)

* Apache Ant

ActiveBpel

* Servlet containter (e.g., Tomcat 5)

Deploy Procedure

========================

Agila

* Done through web interface (not fully tested to verify). During the course of my testing with Agilia’s error-riddled samples, I managed to corrupt the Agila engine’s relational database and could not verify its web deploy page.

ActiveBPEL

* Done by copying ActiveBPEL custmom jar.  Requires tedious creation of ActiveBPEL “process deployment description” file.

A forum user has contributed java code to automatically generate this pdd file given the BPEL and WSDL inputs. (not tested to verify)

Community

==========

Agila

Sparsely contributed to gzipped mail archive (e.g., 2 posts for all of September 2005).

ActiveBPEL

Five forums actively monitored by admins who provide explanations, fix suggestions.  Over 2,500 posts from about 400 registered users.

Docs/Samples

Agila

A wiki site w/three web page guides for Install, Users, Development.  Three error-riddled samples, missing message definitions, etc.

ActiveBPEL

Several guides for installation, usage, deployment, architecture.  Six complete samples including client source code and ant build, deploy, and test scripts.  Five of the samples verified to work with one not building (custom_xpath_function) due to using old ActiveBPEL version API.

Odds & Ends

I’m not sure how they compare against administrative/event APIs available through web services or event/exception handling.  I do know ActiveBPEL supports the former and is fully implements BPEL4WS1.1.

Back to the top