RE: [alf-dev] Why WS-Notification Rejected

Yes, that is essentially the reasoning.  To illustrate the point, it seems unreasonable to require a client only tool to have the infrastructure to allow subscription to events it may want to raise to ALF when a simple Web Service call is sufficient.  Further, client only tools are not instantiated in one location and are not instantiated continuously which makes it hard to subscribe to their events.

Clearly there are ways around this but it just adds further complexity to a mechanism that is already more complex then we need.  Thus we will start with the simple solution now and possiby add the WS-Notification mechanism in the future if there is a compelling case to do so.

Tim

From: alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robert Brady
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:04 PM
To: alf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [alf-dev] Why WS-Notification Rejected

Is my understanding that WS-Notification was rejected for the following disadvantages correct?

WS-Notification vs. Ordinary WS

=========================

Advantages of WS-N

* Standardized pub/subscribe/notify pattern

* Centralized configuration of ALF via tool subscription

* An implementation exists in Java already (Apache Pubscribe)

Disadvantages of WS-N

* Heavyweight, Onerous implementation: Each tool needs to run a WS

implementing WS-N and its dependencies (e.g., a subscription is a stateful

resource modeled as a WS-Resource, utilizing WS-ResourceLifetime operations).

* Functionality required that's not used: Alf would be the only tool subscriber, so

the WS-Topics spec of WS-N not needed.

Thanks

-Bob

are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Back to the top