[alf-dev] Re: 09/12/2005 - Architecture Meeting Minutes

It has been pointed out that accessing the Newsgroup is difficult for some
people due to corporate policy restrictions.  My only point is suggesting
people reply to the newsgroup is that currently this is the only tool we
have for organizing our collective thoughts.

There is a Web interface to the Newsgroup that should allow access in most
cases.  Not the most pleasant of experiences but it works in a pinch.

If your message is a reply to a newsgroup item it seems better to reply to
the newsgroup but feel free to reply to the mailing list if that makes more
sense for  you.

I hope that we will get a Wiki soon.

Tim Buss,
Serena Inc.

"Tim Buss" <tbuss@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> [...]
> solution for the POC needs a separate discussion.
>
> No specific action item was identified.  Tim Buss will start to look into
> WS-Security as part of the Web Service example.
>
> 5. WS-Notification - is it the right thing
>
> A requirement for a synchronous Service Flow in addition to the ability to
> have multiple Service Flows fired by an event.  A proposal was made to
allow
> a single synchronous service flow in conjunction with multiple
asynchronous
> service flows.  The issue was raise that this would require ALF to specify
> the Event protocol and the management scheme since we could no longer
> leverage WS-Notification subscription as a way to configure events. There
> were no objections to the proposal.  A clarification was made indicating
> that synchronous meant that the caller would get a return value from the
> service flow. It was agreed that this would be easier to discuss if the
> proposal was made concrete.
>
> Tim Buss and Brian Carroll volunteered to prepare such a proposal.
>
> 6. Service Examples - we need some
>
> While there had been an intent to discuss an example WSDL, in the
interests
> of time and to avoid the soporific effects that pure XML might have this
was
> deferred to a posting.  A proposal was made that once the example was
> created, it should be useful to implement it using all the various Web
> service tools that interested ALF participants are using. Five toolkits
were
> identified: Microsoft .NET+WSE, Apache Axis, Apache Axis2, gSoap, and
> IdooXoap.
>
> Tim Buss will post an example service for discussion.
>
> 7. Alf Conformance Review and Test - What to do here?
>
> This issue was not discussed directly.  A point to note is that WS-I
> provides conformance tools for the WS-I Basic.  These may be downloaded
from
> the WS-I site.
> http://www.ws-i.org/deliverables/workinggroup.aspx?wg=testingtools
>
> Item 2:  Serena will commit to preparing a Service example for discussion
at
> the next Architecture committee meeting.
>
> This was discussed above
>
> Item 3: The architecture committee members and other interested parties
will
> further examine WS-Notification in order to bring resolution to this point
>
> This was discussed above
>
> Item 4: Find out what the intended use of the Eclipse infrastructure is
and
> when we might expect the Wikki facility to be available.
>
> This was not discussed.  However, it is known that eclipse is working on
> getting a Wikki.
> For the current infrastructure, in general, the Newsgroup should be used
for
> all public discussion items since it allows discussions to be threaded.
The
> Alf Newsgroup forwards to the alf-dev mailing list automatically.  You
> cannot easily distinguish between mailing list and newsgroup messages but
it
> is better to reply to the newsgroup rather than the mailing list.  The
> mailing lists are more for announcements and general information
> distribution.  While posts to the mailing lists are archived they are not
> threaded and it is only possible to reply to mail you receive.
>
> The next meeting is planned to be on Thursday, 15th September 2005 and
> 11:00am PST.  It was generally agreed that a regular time was easier to
> manage.
>
> Tim Buss
> Serena Inc
> September 12, 2005