From: Bruno Haible [mailto:haible@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:36 AM
To: albireo-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Goering, Jon
Subject: Re: [albireo-dev] performance

Hi,

> We are using the original code base from which the Albireo project was
> started from.  One sees the usage of an applet for every view under
the
> hood.  What is the performance impact / overhead of this along with
the
> usage of a root and layered panes?  Is this still being done for the
> latest Albireo code base?

What do you mean by "performance impact" for an interactive GUI?

The memory footprint is that each applet will have a Swing double-buffer
associated with it, while SWT controls usually are not double-buffered.

The ping-pong game of sending events between the AWT EventQueue thread
and the SWT Display's event thread certainly increases the time between
user action and the visible response. But it will not drastically
increase
the CPU consumption. Therefore whether it counts as "performance"
depends
on your mileage.

> The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only.
> It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the
> named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it,
> or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please
notify
> us immediately and then destroy it.

Such a disclaimer is not applicable for mails that you send to a
publicly
viewable mailing list.

Bruno

Back to the top