Re: [albireo-dev] Need information about Swing Studio UI migration using Albireo

I suspect you will want to convert your menus and toolbars to be Eclipse/SWT menus and toolbars so that they play well with contributions from other (non-Swing) plug-ins.

Beyond that, it's very hard to give an answer to the general question.

I'll suggest one important question to consider: how self-contained is the Swing part of your application? The more that Swing components have to interact with non-Swing components, the more difficult it will be to integrate them. It's the interaction that forces you to cope with multiple event threads. You'll be forced to make a lot of calls to Display.asyncExec (and the Swing equivalent). This becomes especially annoying when there is a return value from some method called from the other toolkit's event thread. That's because it is generally not safe to wait for a response via Display.syncExec (or the Swing equivalent).

One corollary of the above is that it is better to integrate big pieces (e.g. a container with several Swing components) rather than small pieces (e.g. individual Swing components).

There is an unavoidable cost to integrating Swing into SWT, so you just have to decide how that cost compares to the cost of re-implementing everything in SWT (assuming you even have the time to do the latter). The decision is very dependent on each specific case.

Amol Sonawane wrote:
Hi
I am working on a product that has its user interface developed in Swing. It has menus, toolbars, tree navigation panel & content panels etc.

I would like to know how easy or difficult it would be to migrate this modeling swing studio to eclipse plug-in using Albireo.

Has anybody done that before? How does it scale?

It will be great is someone can point to some resources that can give us some guidelines about steps to be followed, common issues encountered etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Regards
Amol