Re: [albireo-dev] Albireo Project Status

Hi Wayne...

Wayne Beaton wrote:
Greetings Albireo committers and community.

I've just done a quick non-technical review of the project and have a
few comments/questions. I'm just trying to get a sense for the level of
activity and interest in the project and see where/how I can help out.

There seems to be a healthy amount of development, though from the
lowered pace, it seems that you are reaching a level  of maturity. Are
you gearing up for a release?

I think we are close to a beta-quality milestone, but not a full release.

In my mind, to achieve "beta-quality", there is a small amount of feature work left to be done. Also, we need more testing on certain platforms like Vista and MacOS.

For a full release, we need more community feedback and involvement.

The project description is missing from the the "Project Info" page [1].
Actually, there's a lot of missing stuff on the project info page. It'd
be nice to see links to Bugzilla, and the project plan. Also, the August
1/08 release is currently marked tentative; it may be time to revisit
this :-)

Information on the Project Info can be entered using the Portal. If you
have any problems/questions using the portal, let me know (and I'll
properly chastise the portal developers).

I'll take care of updating this information.

I can't find a project plan. Does one exist?

We had some planning information in the original project proposal, but that's as far as we got.

Is it time to change the tense on the landing page from future to
present? i.e. can we change sentences like "Albireo will run on version
3.3 and higher of SWT." to "Albireo *runs* on version 3.3 and higher of
SWT."

Probably, since we now have something out there for people to download. I'll make the change.

Do you have any sense for how large your community is? There is almost
no activity on the newsgroup [2] (I don't see any recent activity,
anyway). 253 downloads of your May 28 "RCP" archive leads me to think
that there are a lot of folks who care. Do you hear from them? Is there
another channel that I've missed?

No, not really. FWIW, the topic of Swing/SWT integration often comes up in eclipse.platform.swt newsgroups and the SWT bugzilla component. I have used these opportunities to plug Albireo, but as you've seen, it hasn't resulted in a significant, active Albireo community.

So, lack of active community is a key problem. The other main problem has cropped up recently. My job responsibilities have changed significantly, making it difficult to spend as much time on Albireo. I know that Bruno Haible is in a similar situation. The bottom line is that the set of committers and (ideally) project leadership needs to change if Albireo is to move forward. Without an obvious set of candidates from an active, contributing community, this is a serious challenge.

There appears to have been a flurry of downloads last week (72 on August
22). Any idea why?

No idea.

I found references to the project in the JViews Blog [3], but this blog
is not aggregated on Planet Eclipse as far as I can tell. Does it make
sense to aggregate this blog? or is there another blog that we can
aggregate on the planet?

Bruno (from ILog) is watching, so I'll leave this one to him. I don't expect there will be a lot of Albireo-related entries on that blog in the future, but perhaps there are other reasons to aggregate it.

Setting up a project (or project lead) blog is one item on my to-do list that I have not managed to get to. It's the only method of community-building I can think of which we have not tried.

Does it make sense to revisit the Eclipse Corner article on SWT/Swing
integration [4]? Perhaps an update to this article which specific focus
on Albireo is order? Or maybe a companion article?

The article should be revisited. The only question is when? Given the existence of Albireo, the article would be much different. Much of the current revision describes the things we have implemented in Albireo itself. I think a revised article should be higher-level and should describe how to do Swing/SWT integration using Albireo. But if that's the case, it seems that the article should be updated when there is a real release.

Wayne
Technology PMC Member

[1]http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project_summary.php?projectid=technology.albireo
[2]http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/thread.php?group=eclipse.technology.albireo