Re: [albireo-dev] Alpha 2?

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for all this packaging and doc work!

> In CVS, the projects associated with building the distributions can be
> found in the org.eclipse.albireo/releng and org.eclipse.albireo/features
> directories.

Indeed, a certain learning curve is required to understand all these XML
files...

> There is a new installation page:
>
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Albireo_Installation

I'm hitting three problems with these installation instructions:

1) If I use option 1 (import the plugins into the workspace directly),
   from org.eclipse.albireo.rcp_v20080523.zip, the "Import Plug-ins and Fragments"
   dialog shows a warning "Make sure to add the source code locations for the
   plug-ins you are importing to the Source Code Locations preference page".
   I ignore this warning, click on "Projects with source folders", Next, add
   all 4 plug-ins.
   - The org.eclipse.albireo.core plugin has 2 errors
       "Package 'org.eclipse.albireo.core' does not exist in this plug-in"
       "Package 'org.eclipse.albireo.internal' does not exist in this plug-in"
   - The two *.source plugins display the files like resources (not grouped
     into packages). No syntax check is performed on the *.java files (when
     I change the files by introducing Java syntax errors, no error is
     displayed).

2) If I use option 3 (install the plugins in the Eclipse copy), then open
   the list of all plugins (Help > About Eclipse SDK > Plug-in Details),
   2 among the 4 Albireo plugins (the ones with *.examples.plugin*) have no
   "Provide" set. Also 2 among the 4 (the *.source) have no "Legal Info" set.

3) If I use option 3 (install the plugins in the Eclipse copy), then it
   behaves as if no source code was available: when I try to navigate
   to the SwingControl class, I get a screen
      "Class File Editor
       Source not found"
   The problem is aggravated by the fact that no javadoc is available.

   I tried to fix this by adding a file plugin.xml to the jar
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?eclipse version="3.0"?>
<plugin>
        <extension point="org.eclipse.pde.core.source">
                <location path="."/>
        </extension>
</plugin>
   but that did not help; I must be missing something. (The
   "org.eclipse.pde.core.source" is a magic extension point which tells
   PDE that this is a plugin that provides source code.)

I didn't try option 2, since I'm not familiar with creating "target"s.

All these tests were done with a freshly unpacked eclipse-SDK-3.3.1.1-linux-gtk.tar.gz .

Without a javadoc, the component would be usable if Eclipse could extract
the doc from the source code and display it in tooltips. But since in both
options 1 and 3 it does not find the source code, I think that in the current
state the distrib is hardly usable.

If you don't have more time to spend on this (I know it's not fun), I'm
in favour of generating a zip using the "Export > Archive File" comprising
the 2 projects from our workspace. This is simple and has all the .classpath
and .project files set up correctly.

Bruno

Back to the top