Re: [albireo-dev] SWT version numbers

Bruno Haible wrote:
Hi Gordon,

While trying to see the possible interactions between SWT.BORDER support
and the focus management, I tried to reproduce the focus test cases on
3.4M4, and was shocked to see that the first three test cases were not
working!

Fortunately, it's simple to fix. When you wrote
   if (Platform.SWT_VERSION < Platform.SWT_34 ...)
and
   SWT_34 = swtVersion(3, 400);
you probably expected that they bump the version number to 3,400 when they
release 3.4.

No, I intended Platform.SWT_VERSION < Platform.SWT_34 to mean versions 3.3.x and (in theory) earlier.

I didn't expect that we would ever want conditional code to support milestone releases of Eclipse. In my mind, the overhead for this kind of code is very large. Are we now obligated to test under each of the 6 3.4 milestones? And for how long?

While version 3.x is under development, I think the only manageable solution is to develop only to the most recent milestone. That means it should not matter if something is broken in M4. Otherwise, our already complicated code will get out of hand.

Back to the top