[albireo-dev] Re: [platform-swt-dev] SWT_AWT bridge enhancements for dual-process approaches

Christopher Deckers wrote:

SWT_AWT
 public static HandleData getHandleData(Canvas c) {}
 public static Shell newShell(Display display, HandleData parentHandleData) {}
 public static HandleData getHandleData(Composite c) {}
 public static Frame newFrame(HandleData parentHandleData) {}

SWT_AWT.new_Frame and new_Shell install various listeners in order to pass on certain events from the parent window to the child window. With these proposed APIs, would you expect that "setup" to happen within the getHandleData methods? Elsewhere? ... but maybe a bugzilla entry would be the best place to discuss this.

I have IPC on top: I have a full messaging system in place, and since
it is Java to Java communication I send serialized commands. I also
have the notion of sync calls, where it waits for a result but still
processes incoming messages (which themselves can be sync calls,
etc.).

FWIW, in Albireo we've been talking about two other models. The multiple event thread model is what we are working on now, and we've also discussed merging the SWT and AWT event threads (a single event thread model). Your approach sounds like a possible third alternative that we haven't discussed until now.

It seems to me that the dual process model would be most attractive if there are significant, unsolvable problems with the multi-threaded model (because there are costs associated with firing up multiple VMs and using serialization, etc). This is a hard question to answer right now.

Back to the top