[albireo-dev] Re: [platform-swt-dev] SWT_AWT bridge enhancements for dual-process approaches

(adding albireo-dev to the thread)

I heard about this project before, but I believe its goal is different
from mine.
Quoting from the project page:
"Initially, the Albireo project will be focused on support for
embedding Swing components (and their associated dialogs) into SWT and
RCP applications."

That is indeed Albireo's *initial* focus. Given enough interest, it would be great to support embedding in both directions... eventually.

The cross-process embedding idea is interesting. Is there any reason why it could not apply to the case where SWT embeds Swing?

I can see some benefit especially if the embedded component is very self-contained and there is very little (programmatic) interface needed between it and components from the other toolkit. Is that the case for you, Christopher? Or are you layering some sort of IPC on top of this to communicate back and forth?

What I am doing is the reverse, which has a lot of problems when you
push the SWT_AWT bridge too far. My dual-process approach (in place
and fully working) shows that it really is much better, but I had to
use undocumented APIs.

I'd be interested to hear more specifics about the in-process problems you've been seeing. If the embedded component is relatively self-contained, I'd expect fewer problems (but not 0 problems :-).

Back to the top