Re: [albireo-dev] SwingSet2 Example View

Bruno Haible wrote:

Me too. I tried a few things, in vain. But I'm not spending more time on it,
because it's an atypical case to use source code that 1. inherits from
JApplet, 2. cannot be modified. The typical case is that people write a
JComponent and are able to do some modifications for the sake of the
embedding in Eclipse.

I agree. It's a nice example for checking out all the controls, but it can't be expected to work perfectly.

Though this example is not a compelling use case, is there any value in
specific support for applets in Albireo?

I don't think so. Applets and JApplets are made for embedding in a browser.

That's true. Emulating *full* browser-like support for applets would be a lot of work, and it is beyond what I was suggesting.

They cannot be embedded in an AWT window, nor in a JComponent. Why would
someone expect to be able to embed it into SWT?

No one would expect it. But if the applet was simple and self-contained, and since the browser widget doesn't support applets, embedding could conceivably be helpful. But we don't have a real use case, and we have plenty of other work to do, so I'll stop now :-).

Back to the top