Re: [albireo-dev] AwtEnvironment & customizability

Bruno Haible wrote:

The reason is that on the Linux system I happen to be using (openSUSE with KDE
desktop), the Gtk look&feel of Swing is not well supported: At the beginning
I get an error message in the console:
/opt/gnome/share/themes/Qt/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:5: Engine "qtengine" is unsupported, ignoring
I've seen this message before, and it depends on the window manager
used, but there's nothing (reasonable) we can do to detect this situation.

But what is your motivation for forcing the Gtk look&feel in the first place?
It does not the look the same as JFace, so it's no clear win compared to
Metal. And it's very ugly in some cases, which Metal isn't.

I'm no GTK expert, and I didn't spend a lot of time on this. Here's the reasoning... The primary distribution of Eclipse on Linux is GTK-based, even if you are running on KDE (i.e. there is no Qt version of SWT). So I concluded that the GTK look and feel would be a closer match, even when running under a KDE window manager. Was this a mistake?

I wonder if your experience would be any different if we could run with the Java6 GTK l&f. In any case, if you think the default should be changed, I have no objection.

Back to the top