Re: [albireo-dev] thoughts on how to proceed

In principle, I still agree with the statement quoted below, but it becomes more difficult to follow this ordering if we are not confident of a single-event-thread implementation that is ready (or nearly ready) to integrate into the current code. As a result, I think we need to keep moving forward on the implementation with one of these two approaches:

1) Integrate the ILog AWT->SWT cde into the codebase for now. Then we can continue with the rest of the implementation. We should consider the other single-event-thread alternatives in parallel, and perhaps replace the AWT->SWT code if we settle on something better

2) Continue with the rest of the implementation without integrating any single threaded solution. Once we agree on and implement the best single-event-thread solution (in parallel), integrate it into the existing code base.

I realize that both of these options (especially 2) contradict our original plan, but I think we need to keep moving if we intend to meet our original schedule. Any thoughts? Alternatives?

Bruno Haible wrote:

But first of all, I think, the single-event-thread feature should be
implemented. The reason is that
  1) single-event-thread is an important feature: many developers will
     not be able to build a _large_ and _reliable_ application if they
     have to constantly switch from AWT to SWT thread and back, using
     various synchronization mechanisms.
  2) the behaviour of mouse and focus is very different (it shows different
     bugs) when the two event threads are merged and when they are separate.
     Since single-event-thread is an optional feature, it means that each
     testing must be executed twice. And, to ensure a common code that
     works for both cases, it's best if the single-event-thread feature
     is already implemented when we start working on popup menus, focus etc.

Back to the top