Re: [ajdt-dev] AspectJ / AJDT -- what is stable?

Hi Hermann,

As you know, recently we started moving to a world of JDT weaving so that we can offer a much better experience with AJDT in Eclipse.  It is a bit complex and so has had a few teething problems.  We released AJDT 1.6.2 just after Christmas - the first version to include this support.  Because released versions get rather more downloads than our dev builds, a few serious issues were uncovered by that release and we felt it important to address these quickly, and have released AJDT 1.6.3.  That is the version you have installed.  No fanfare, no big AJDT changes, just some tweaks in how JDT weaving is configured and used.

AJDT 1.6.2 included AspectJ1.6.3 final release.
AJDT 1.6.3 happens to include an AspectJ 1.6.4 development driver.  Over christmas a some work was done to enhance incremental analysis for intertype declarations and the speed of compilation of projects using a lot of ITDs.  We tested this thoroughly internally and felt it was a well scoped change and decided AJDT users would benefit from it - hence the inclusion of that driver in AJDT 1.6.3.

As I've mentioned a few times on the list - every build of AspectJ that is released either as a dev build or a full release passes every test that we had for the previous build plus any added in the interim - so every build should be an improvement on what has gone before.  There are no times when HEAD is broken and won't build, there are no times when HEAD doesn't pass every regression test.  And a final release is only a dev build that I give a meaningful timestamp instead of DEVELOPMENT.

> Is this a stable version? Is this a new version? Is it known to be reliable?
I believe it to be stable.  It is a new version, the first dev build of 1.6.4 that included ITD build enhancements. We are packaging this version in other product distributions that we are sending out for testing.

> Where can I get the corresponding Ant task for exactly the same version?

This is the build you want

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/tools/aspectj/dev/aspectj-DEVELOPMENT-20090106235947.jar

the date is different because one is timestamped when I build the code locally and upgrade AJDT and one is from a build machine on a different timezone.  I could probably make more of an effort to line these up I think.

> We are working in an production environment here and it is thus very
> important not to bring in any unstable versions or version mix
> accidentally. We are using pre-built (and woven) library jars, which
> are distributed via our SVN and also contain further aspects.
> Of course, these are currently built with the stable AspectJ 1.6.3

If I were you, and you are happy with AspectJ 163 - I would continue to use that as the released stable version.  I'm suprised you didn't see any of the problems we had raised about JDT weaving and AJDT1.6.2 - did you really find that a smooth experience?

The key problem for you seems to be for us to resolve this new issue:

java.lang.NullPointerException
       at org.aspectj.asm.AsmManager.
sameType(AsmManager.java:857)
       at org.aspectj.asm.AsmManager.removeRelationshipsTargettingThisType(AsmManager.java:694)
       at org.aspectj.weaver.bcel.BcelWeaver.weave(BcelWeaver.java:1120)
       at org.aspectj.ajdt.internal.compiler.AjPipeliningCompilerAdapter.weaveQueuedEntries(AjPipeliningCompilerAdapter.java:435)

which I have never seen before.  Send me an email with any more info you have.  I'll be taking a look right now to see what it is.

Andy.

2009/2/2 <prg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hello all,

I've got an urgent problem. Today I performed an automatic/routine
update within Eclipse. With this, I've gotten a new AJDT release.
I am absolutely sure I used only the *stable* update site, also
the URL visible while upgrading/downloading pointed to:
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/ajdt/34/update

This upgrade installed me 1.6.3.20090122141228 (ok, seems to be stable)
*but* this shows to include AspectJ 1.6.4.20090106083800

I can't find this version anywhere on http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/downloads.php

Is this a stable version? Is this a new version? Is it known to be reliable?
Where can I get the corresponding Ant task for exactly the same version?

We are working in an production environment here and it is thus very
important not to bring in any unstable versions or version mix
accidentally. We are using pre-built (and woven) library jars, which
are distributed via our SVN and also contain further aspects.
Of course, these are currently built with the stable AspectJ 1.6.3

Moreover, since the upgrade, I get frequently Compiler errors within
AJDT, like the one showed below. Can someone please give me an advice
how to proceed best with this?

Thanks,
Hermann Vosseler

HIB.java        KoMa/src/baag/hibclient Java Problem    Unknown Internal compiler error
java.lang.NullPointerException
       at org.aspectj.asm.AsmManager.sameType(AsmManager.java:857)
       at org.aspectj.asm.AsmManager.removeRelationshipsTargettingThisType(AsmManager.java:694)
       at org.aspectj.weaver.bcel.BcelWeaver.weave(BcelWeaver.java:1120)
       at org.aspectj.ajdt.internal.compiler.AjPipeliningCompilerAdapter.weaveQueuedEntries(AjPipeliningCompilerAdapter.java:435)
       at org.aspectj.ajdt.internal.compiler.AjPipeliningCompilerAdapter.queueForWeaving(AjPipeliningCompilerAdapter.java:371)
       at org.aspectj.ajdt.internal.compiler.AjPipeliningCompilerAdapter.afterProcessing(AjPipeliningCompilerAdapter.java:358)
       at org.aspectj.ajdt.internal.compiler.CompilerAdapter.ajc$after$org_aspectj_ajdt_internal_compiler_CompilerAdapter$5$6b855184(CompilerAdapter.aj:98)
       at org.aspectj.org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler.process(Compiler.java:652)
       at org.aspectj.org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:392)
       at org.aspectj.ajdt.internal.core.builder.AjBuildManager.performCompilation(AjBuildManager.java:975)
       at org.aspectj.ajdt.internal.core.builder.AjBuildManager.performBuild(AjBuildManager.java:301)
       at org.aspectj.ajdt.internal.core.builder.AjBuildManager.incrementalBuild(AjBuildManager.java:183)
       at org.aspectj.ajde.core.internal.AjdeCoreBuildManager.performBuild(AjdeCoreBuildManager.java:126)
       at org.aspectj.ajde.core.AjCompiler.build(AjCompiler.java:88)
       at org.eclipse.ajdt.core.builder.AJBuilder.build(AJBuilder.java:223)
       at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$2.run(BuildManager.java:633)
       at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:37)
       at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:170)
       at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:201)
       at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$1.run(BuildManager.java:253)
       at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:37)
       at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:256)
       at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuildLoop(BuildManager.java:309)
       at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.build(BuildManager.java:341)
       at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.doBuild(AutoBuildJob.java:140)
       at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob.run(AutoBuildJob.java:238)
       at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)