Re: [ajdt-dev] AJDT and Eclipse plug-in development

Hi Thomas,

I have a question with respect to plugin development.
Is it possible to define an aspect in one plugin whose pointcuts are defined
in terms of entities that are defined in the context of other plugins?
I haven't been able to make this work. Does AJDT manage plugin dependencies?

AJDT has no special support for managing plugin dependencies as far as I know. You could probably make this work by dealing with the dependencies by hand, but that is maybe not what you want.

When defining the aspect, I think it makes sense to have plugin dependencies
go from the aspect plugin to the base plugins. What happens to these
dependencies after weaving?

The dependency management is somewhat tricky when you combine aspects and plugins. The easiest way to deal with this is to use the Equinox Aspects incubator project. It adds load-time weaving to the Equinox OSGi runtime. Using this extension to OSGi you can put your aspects into bundles and the weaving (and most parts of the dependency management) happens at load-time:

http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/incubator/aspects/index.php

There are different settings possible how to use aspects in the context of plugins. I would recommend taking a look at these presentation of this EclipseCon talk:

http://www.eclipsecon.org/2007/index.php?page=sub/&id=3848&conference=2007

HTH,
-Martin

Thanks,