Re: [ajdt-dev] AJDT available for Eclipse 3.4

Err, thanks Mik ;)

The Java6 compiler upgrade was a bump-in-the-road to say the least,
but now we are over that, things are progressing quite well.  Across
the projects over the last few months we have had:

AspectJ1.5.4 - service refresh on the robust 1.5 branch
AspectJ1.6.0m1 and m2 (featuring 1.6 compiler upgrade + parameter
annotation matching + annotation value matching)
AJDT 1.5.1 for Eclipse 3.3
AJDT 1.6.dev for Eclipse 3.4

A dead horse would probably have fewer releases and enhancements.

I released AJDT 1.6 for Eclipse 3.4 only because I know some users are
on the bleeding edge.  In order to get something out quickly, I
trimmed some features that are currently not as robust as I would
like.  AJDT depends a lot on Eclipse JDT internals in order to offer a
good experience in the UI and when those internals change, AJDT needs
rework.  The full round tripping of edit/save/compile and advice
navigation should work just fine.

> Aj files editor refuses to open,

That works for me? what error do you get, please raise a bug.  If I
don't know something is failing I can't fix it.  What variant of 3.4
are you on?

> aspect keyword in java files is not recognized,

The AspectJ editor understands the AspectJ syntax, the Java editor
does not - so if you can't open them with the right editor, you won't
get the right highlighting, we need to fix your first problem with the
right editor not opening.

> quick fix not working at all (bunch of exceptions) or  when it
> "works" it swallows all the imports, error logs fills with tons of
> exceptions and so on.

quick fix is something I have disabled for AspectJ - surprised it
exceptions though, it should be entirely disabled right now. please
open a bug report.

> Can someone give me a rough idea of what is expected to work or don't
> work in this release?

The main development cycle: edit/save/compile works - where 'edit'
doesn't include refactorings/quickfixes.  Features that won't are
things like quick fixes, alternative launchers (AJ/LTW), exporting
products with AJ support, generating AJ based build scripts.  These
are all to be enabled - AJDT 1.6 is currently in dev build status and
hasn't even had a milestone release yet.  As Wes mentioned, the
currently released version of AJDT is 1.5.1 for Eclipse 3.3 - or use
1.5.2 dev builds if you really need a Java6 compiler.

> The second point is that while back in 2006/7 there was a lot of
> attention
> on this project, now it looks that man power is decreased to just one
> committer and i've got the impression that the project is starving to
> death.
> Now, since time is a precious resource and i don't want to bet on a dead
> horse, can someone shed some light on the future of this project?

I am actively recruiting at the moment for people to join the team
here in Vancouver to work on AJDT.  We have job advertisements online
and are actively persuing some candidates to start very soon.  There
is real investment being made to sort out some of these issues.

The current high priority issues on my mind are:

- mixing Aj/Java projects in the same workspace does not behave as
well as it might with regards incremental compilation.
- memory usage of the weaver, in both AJDT and a loadtime weaving environment.

But I would urge everyone to open bugs for things that you need that
don't work in AJDT1.6 or things that break unexpectedly - use bugzilla
votes to help me prioritize what myself and my team should work on
next.

Andy