Re: [ajdt-dev] AJDT available for Eclipse 3.4

just my opinions here...

If/since you are just starting, you should use the latest *production*
release, which is AJDT 1.5.1 for 3.3, or at least the 1.5.2 release for 3.3.
It's not fair to complain that the bleeding edge is bloody :)

As for the project, it's a *very* good thing that the language basically
stabilized after 5 years and since then in the last 3 years changes have been
mainly to track changes in Java 5 and Java 6 and in the underlying Eclipse
platform, plus some effort to get scalable performance (sorry if you happen
to be stuck on 3.2).  If you're looking for a language you can rely on, look
for stability, not churn.

As for people, consider that Sun probably only has 1-2 people working on the
javac compiler which has more usage and more change recently.  In the mature
phases of a project, you really want just a few people who deeply understand
it to maintain it, not tons of folks adding features.

Wes

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:47:21 +0100
 gabriele.garuglieri@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi all, i have a couple of questions about ajdt for eclipse 3.4.
> I've never tried before ajdt, but i'd like to investigate its usage for
> our projects.
> I installed the version for 3.4 and tried to start using the examples, but
> i'm stuck at the very beginning.
> Aj files editor refuses to open, aspect keyword in java files is not
> recognized, quick fix not working at all (bunch of exceptions) or when it
> "works" it swallows all the imports, error logs fills with tons of
> exceptions and so on.
>
> Can someone give me a rough idea of what is expected to work or don't work
> in this release?
>
> The second point is that while back in 2006/7 there was a lot of attention
> on this project, now it looks that man power is decreased to just one
> committer and i've got the impression that the project is starving to
> death.
> Now, since time is a precious resource and i don't want to bet on a dead
> horse, can someone shed some light on the future of this project?
>
> Thanks, Gabriele

Back to the top