Re: [ajdt-dev] Running JUnit tests

Just to let you know.

I didn't have any major problems getting AJDT to compile and run on my setup. The AspectJ compiler did crash at one point but I wasn't able to nail down what I'd done to cause that. But basically there's nothing major that stops AJDT running on the Mac with M3.

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 05:28  pm, Ron Bodkin wrote:

From: "Andrew Clement" <CLEMAS@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: ajdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, Oct-1-2003 6:30 AM
Subject: Re: [ajdt-dev] Running JUnit tests

Hi Nick,

OS: MacOS X 10.2.8
Java: 1.4.1
Eclipse: 3.0M3
AJDT: Latest CVS

Now that is on the bleeding edge.  We haven't fully tested AJDT with
Eclipse 3.0 - and I don't know of anyone else doing AJDT development
on the Mac.  Of course, it should work, its just that you may hit a
few issues we haven't...

First thing I should say is you might as well ignore the unit tests,
AJDT came to life before we 'saw the light' with the Test Driven
Development approach.  We have a work item to go back and add some
relevant ones ... but we just haven't managed it yet.

The approach we *would* take if we had some tests is using the PDE
JUnit framework that is specifically for testing plugin projects,
rather than the basic JUnit stuff.  Not sure if its built into
Eclipse 3.0 or not.  The URL is:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/%7Echeckout%7E/jdt-ui-home/ plugins/org.eclipse.jdt.junit/index.html

With this PDE JUnit setup, we define a special kind of Junit runtime
configuration which launches a new workbench, runs the junit tests
then shuts it down.

Also has anybody thought about using mock objects - www.mockobjects.com - to allow the unit tests to be run without this tight integration with
the workbench?

Hmmm.  AJDT is kind of a thin Eclipse veneer that links the aspectj
compiler into Eclipse.  I'm not quite sure what AJDT would become if
the workbench was mocked out ??

So basically, ignore the existing unit tests and probably all the
framework.  If you want to write some to the PDE Junit structure
and contribute them - that would be excellent ;)

Andy.