Re: [aether-users] Aether 1.0.2 on Maven Central but not on p2 update site?

> On Jan 8, 2016, at 7:52 AM, Andreas Sewe <andreas.sewe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Jason,
>
>> We won’t be releasing any p2 update sites and we’re actually in the process of migrating the parts of the Aether we need back into the Maven project.
>>
>> Aether was not a success at Eclipse, unfortunately.
>
> I'm sad to hear that -- and a little bit surprised that this wasn't
> announced on this list, AFAIK, and that the website is silent about this.
>
> Anyway, can you please shed light on a few issues:
>
> - Why was it not a success at Eclipse? Lack of external contributors?
> Too much paperwork? Anything else?

I’ve only started cursory work to integrate it back into Maven to make sure things will work. I also needed to validate that I could get the agreement from all people who made contributions which I was able to do. It appears that it can be done. I’ll be working more with Wayne during the transition.

Benjamin resigned from the project, it’s really only Igor who has made any changes, there really aren’t many contributors. But I think that’s more a function of the code’s complexity than anything else. The argument on the Maven side is that more people will contribute if it’s there. I suspect that is not the case but I’m doing what the Maven committers prefer in the hopes someone in the Maven project will help. Aether certainly works, but the kinds of changes we want to make are going to require a greater degree of community involvement and we just never got that here and that is squarely my fault. Something I’m trying to rectify.

> - Will Aether still be available as a standalone library or become part
> of a bigger maven-repository-utils library? This is important for
> clients like Code Recommenders, which just need the minimal set of
> dependencies necessary to interact with Maven-like repositories.

Whatever form it takes there will be an independent library as part of it.

> - Will you still distribute JARs with OSGi headers even if you yourself
> don't publish p2 update sites? That way, we can at least use Orbit to
> still consume Aether, although the process for us Eclipse projects
> becomes more cumbersome then.

I don’t see that being an issue if desired.

> - What is the new mailing list to ask questions about Aether? Will there
> an aether-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx? And what bug tracker to use (in case
> the Eclipse Bugzilla is no longer being monitored)?

When I have a version that works and lands in repository at Apache I’ll let you know!