Re: [aether-users] Deploying and resolving compressed artifacts

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 5:07 AM, Andreas Sewe <andreas.sewe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Shahim,

can you please explain what your underlying problem is? Is it server
storage space? Or is it network bandwidth? Or something else entirely.

It's server storage space and I want my solution to be able to work with existing Maven repositories and servers like Nexus.

If it is just network bandwidth, good ol' HTTP's "Content-Encoding:
gzip" header is your friend. For artifact resolution, you need to make
sure that Apache HttpComponent sends an Accept-Encoding header for gzip
(or deflate) and that the repository can oblige that request (e.g., by
performing on the fly compression). As far as I know, that should even
work out-of-the-box on HttpComponent's side (and is easy enough to
configure on the server side)

If you want on-the-fly compression for artifact deployment, though, you
may need to configure the HttpClient that Aether uses to do so. That may
require a bit more work.

Hope that helps.

Andreas

--