Re: [aether-users] Adding SubArtifacts after Main Artifact is deployed

Hi Benson,

> Bk Lau wrote:
>>     Well, say, I add a main artifact A and then a month later, i want to
>>     associate a sub artifact B with the main artifact A when the data B
>>     becomes available.
>>     That's the gist of it.
>
> By 'sub-artifact' do you mean an artifact with a classifier? If so, then
> the answer is 'no, this is fundamentally not part of the Maven model'. A
> collection of things with a common G/A/V (and distinct classifiers) all
> share a POM and so all travel around together.

Yes, a primary artifact and its secondary artifacts (the ones with a
classifier) all share the same POM. However, AFAIK they do *not* have to
"travel around together" (at least as far as Aether is concerned). In
particular, the "classified" artifacts certainly don't have to deploy
them all in one go.

Have a look at the "model repository" used by Eclipse Code Recommenders
(which uses Aether under the hood) [1]. There you have multiple
secondary artifacts (with classifiers like "call" or "ovrd") that got
deployed at different times, as witnessed by the different SNAPSHOT
timestamps. Note, however, that this repo does not contain a primary
artifact. I don't think this matters, though, so what Bk Lau is after
(deploy a secondary artifact after the primary one already got deployed)
is probably possible.

Hope this helps.

Andreas

[1]