Re: [aether-users] How can I verify proper authentication before use

inline ..

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Benjamin Bentmann <bentmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lothar Werzinger wrote:

How can I trigger an early authentication, so that I prevent
getting authentication errors later on

AFAIK, some repository managers/servers allow to configure access control for different repositories or even portions thereof. So testing successful authentication is not a guarantee that later actions do not fail with authorization issues. Just keep in that mind.

Good point.

For simple setups, trying to resolve some metadata and checking for errors should do.

I'm not so familiar with repository structure; is there any metadata that every repository always provides that can be used (queried) in that way?

I would also like to prompt the user for credentials only if the remote
repository requires authentication. Is there a way to query that, so that I
can use the AuthenticationBuilder only when necessary?

Besides the above method of attempting some resolution, there's no means to query a remote repository whether it will require auth.

You should however note that AuthenticationBuilder is just a convenience to build an impl of Authentication and you can simply provide your own impl that prompts for credentials when its fill() method is called. Together with aether-transport-http, this should allow you to lazily fetch credentials.

I am looking into this. Thanks!

Benjamin

Lothar Werzinger

Principal Architect

Tradescape, Inc. - Enabling Efficient Digital Marketplaces

+1-650-931-6719 (direct)

+1-800-697-6068 (main) Ext. 116

lothar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.tradescape.biz

This message and any attachment (the "message") is intended solely for the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message by mistake, please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any out-spread or disclosure, either as a whole or partially, is prohibited except with formal approval. Internet cannot guarantee the integrity of this message, therefore Tradescape will not be liable for the message if modified.

-

Back to the top