[aether-dev] Aether graduation

Greetings Aether project committers!

I have a problem, and only you can help me.

At least one Eclipse project wants to leverage your good work. Unfortunately, since Aether is currently in the incubation phase, that project cannot leverage Aether without labeling itself as "contains incubating components".

As I understand it, Aether is currently included in official release versions of Maven. I'm lead to assume, therefore, that the project's APIs are stable and the code base is mature. Frankly, 2+ years in incubation is a pretty long time.

Is there any reason not to graduate?

I believe that the 0.9 release review process in February was generally positive (at least not excessively negative). A graduation review is no more painful. We generally roll a graduation review together with a release review and require only an assertion that the APIs are stable, the code base is mature, and that the project committers understand the EDP in addition to the regular sorts of release review documentation (which Benjamin summarized as "well, that was easy").

Is Aether currently benefiting from the parallel IP process? AFAICT, there are no open CQs.

The next scheduled release is for Dec 31/2014. Is there any chance that we can move this to May or June (so that consumer projects can include it with their own bits in the simultaneous release)?

Alternatively, we can just run a graduation review without a release review at any time (assuming that consumers can just use the 0.9 bits). The graduation review really just needs to include the assertions mentioned above and include maybe a short paragraph that says some of the things that I said above. I'd then ask you to rename the 0.10 release 1.0 (or something like that).

Is there any chance we can make this happen? The Technology PMC and your project mentors can help.

Wayne

[1] https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.aether
--
Wayne Beaton
Director of Open Source Projects, The Eclipse Foundation

Back to the top