[actf-dev] Development of a static accessibility analyser for Eclipse

Hi There,

I currently work as an Accessibility tester for IBM and presently doing
some research into the area of static analysis of code (I have recently
completed a Master's degree in the assistive technology including a
dissertation on website accessibility).

I am currently researching what's out there plugin-wise for analyzing code
for accessibility issues in Eclipse. I am also looking at worldwide
accessibility guidelines which incorporate WCAG 2.0 Guidelines and Section
508). The aim of looking at these guidelines would be to see which
accessibility components could be automated so that bugs can be picked up
quicker, and in the development phase rather then the testing phase.
Therefore I have put together a list of items for each principle that I
think could be automated into an analyzer.

I have also been looking at HTML parsers where simply you upload the HTML
file and search for accessible elements. This seems to work well for
simpler accessibility issues such as alt text in images. I am just
wondering if you have come up with any alternatives either in the beta or
development stage for this sort of analysis? Areas of accessibility code
that could be analyzed include JSF. JS, HTML and CSS.

Many thanks in advance for your response.

Sarah O'Reilly
Software Test Engineer - Accessibility
Dublin Software Laboratory
IBM Technology Campus, Building 6,
Damastown, Mulhuddart. Dublin 15, Ireland.
e: SARAHORE@xxxxxxxxxx
n: Sarah O'Reilly/Ireland/IBM

IBM Ireland Limited. Registered in Ireland with no.: 16226. Registered
Office: IBM House, Shelbourne Road , Ballsbridge, Dublin 4

Back to the top